Omo Omoregbe reminds youths of their civic duties:
The youths are the leaders of tomorrow; the youth should obey all the laws of his/her country, the youth is expected to pay all the taxes due to him as at when due, the youth owes loyalty to the government, his community.and even to himself.
The youth should be prepared to defend his country when it is threatened, the youth should always take good care of public property (whether placed in his custody or not) whenever he comes in contact with them, the youth should be honest, the youth should obey the head of state or government, the youth should obey the national anthem of his country and should not hesitate to serve his nation in any capacity (he is capable of) when called upon to do so.
Lastly, the youth should show respect to the national flag which stands as a symbol of national authority.
According to Chidima Catherine Nwaubani
Youths are the key stone in the society. They set up a lead for their peers and younger siblings, they mark and keep a conscious watch on their every day life and hang on to good ideas which can help them and the society move to greater heights. They distribute new ideas to their peers and colleagues. The youths are the ones mainly recruited into politics and the military, because they are still strong and focused. They harbour possibilities for a bright and ambitious future.
Ehis Omoregbe lists out some other roles the youth can play in society
- To ensure the longevity of our planet,
- to educate children about their rights,
- To help other young people attain a higher level of intellectual ability,
- to become qualified adults,
- to shape the nation’s future,
- to vote and be voted for,
- to help the government and private sector in implementation of national policies,
- to recognise problems and solve them,
- to aspire for entrepreneurship rather than conventional employment,
- to teach values and morals to peers and offspring, as well as help them become responsible, productive adults with promising futures.
Edekin Angela describes the key role of youth in the society as being:
To renew, refresh and maintain a civilization. The youths are the primary agents of change in the society, the workforce in the society and the society’s backbone. The youth can change the future of the society with their courageous behaviour.