The world has met the Millennium Development Goal (MDGs) target of halving the proportion of people without access to safe drinking water, according to a report issued today by UNICEF and the World Health Organization (WHO). Between 1990 and 2010, over two billion people gained access to improved drinking water sources, such as piped supplies and protected wells.
“The successful efforts to provide greater access to drinking water are a testament to all who see the MDGs not as a dream, but as a vital tool for improving the lives of millions of the poorest people.” Ban Ki-moon
Click on this link to view the full report -> Progress on Drinking Water and Sanitation.
- MDG on safe drinking water? Check! (devex.com)
- Millennium development goal on safe drinking water reaches target early (guardian.co.uk)
- Millennium Development Goal’s drinking water target met!!! (haleybehre.wordpress.com)
- World Meets Drinking Water Target but Progress on Sanitation Falls Short (prnewswire.com)
- MDG drinking water target being met is cause for celebration | Sanjay Wijesekera (guardian.co.uk)